Monday, April 2, 2007

sdopi:ipods (ipod reflections)

For two months I had an ipod. Not just any ipod - a super deluxe, massive memory capacity fifth generation video-capable ipod. I could have done amazing things with the gadget - watched tv shows I missed the first time around, loaded hundreds of songs from my cd collection, discovered the whole world of downloadable podcasts.

So what did I do? I left it, untouched, in the box. For months. My initial experience with the device had me attempting to switch the instructions from Dutch to English - unsuccessfully, until I handed it to my 16 yr old. Finally forced to use the thing (or so I thought - it turns out the podcast didn't require the ipod!), I enjoyed putting a little music onto it, though the earpieces were terribly uncomfortable.

I have two primary impressions of the ipod now - first, that I think I'd enjoy a shuffle. I like to create my own playlists, and spend so much time reading in my car, waiting on my children, that I can imagine I'd use it then. Secondly, I have more concern than I did before about the amount of time some teens/college kids are spending plugged in. My son wants a shuffle - but I don't think I'd get one for him. (If he gets it for himself, that's a different story!) How many conversations and chirping birds, and how much general awareness about life are kids missing while they're connected? It's hard to teach balance when they have constant input at their fingertips.

No comments: