Friday, March 23, 2007

Wiki world

I'm still not clear about wikis - I think wikipedia has clouded my viewpoint - but an article in the current issue of School Library Journal caught my eye. Called 'Never Ending Story', it describes the efforts of a group of 8 writers (including a teen) who are team-writing a children's book on a wiki.

Team writing is not a new concept, but by doing so with a wiki everyone can contribute on equal footing: there's no 'leader', no one in charge. Anyone can change anyone else's contribution (sounds tenuous!).

This would be - could be - an excellent project to try within my library NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org) group. As long as ground rules are laid out clearly at the front of the project, it seems like it could work with teen writers. AND something I can handle!

www.amillionpenguins.com
www.witchesandwiki.com/pmwiki

No comments: