Monday, March 19, 2007

A Foot In Each World

My father's immigrant family lived and died in their Polish Connecticut neighborhood. With a foot in both worlds, they navigated familiar shops and streets, rarely venturing beyond to the unknown. While on one hand they were able to make the huge transition from the old country to the new, they also missed out on so much that the new world had to offer.

In the same way I find myself fighting a current of transition. I've learned to navigate a few newer technologies: in college, computer use meant typing in lines of code to unlock word processing capabilities. Successfully downloading images from the digital camera made me feel like a technology guru (until I then had to figure out how to erase the images!). My latest conquest has been powerpoint, though I haven't attempted to add music yet.

Like my immigrant ancestors I'll have to make myself learn more. It would be easy to get stuck in this comfort zone, but blogs, wikis, and podcasts beckon. One step at a time, I'll eventually put both feet in that world.

No comments: